BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 3, 2009

So, I went through a list of the signs of autism that the docs look at. I got it from the mayoclinic web site. Kaytlin meets 9/18 of these. I believe they have to meet 12 of them to be considered autistic, which is why she would be considered PDD-NOS and not autistic

Social skills

  • Fails to respond to his or her name - This one she only does sometimes.
  • Has poor eye contact
  • Appears not to hear you at times
  • Resists cuddling and holding
  • Appears unaware of others' feelings
  • Seems to prefer playing alone — retreats into his or her "own world" - She has started doing this now, she takes her books or whatever to another place where no one is and lines them up

Language

  • Starts talking later than other children
  • Loses previously acquired ability to say words or sentences
  • Does not make eye contact when making requests
  • Speaks with an abnormal tone or rhythm — may use a singsong voice or robot-like speech
  • Can't start a conversation or keep one going
  • May repeat words or phrases verbatim, but doesn't understand how to use them

Behavior

  • Performs repetitive movements, such as rocking, spinning or hand-flapping
  • Develops specific routines or rituals
  • Becomes disturbed at the slightest change in routines or rituals
  • Moves constantly - Unless she is sick
  • May be fascinated by parts of an object, such as the spinning wheels of a toy car
  • May be unusually sensitive to light, sound and touch and yet oblivious to pain

Tonight we were at church and Kaytlin was where the other kids were playing. I guess the boys were too loud and it scared her to the point of hysterics. The girl that was watching the kiddos brought Kayt to me and told me the boys being loud scared her and it took quite a while for Kayt just to stop breathing in really hard, you know like you do when you have been crying really hard, or a baby has and they do those really deep breaths real fast.. Loud kids never scared her before. She would just watch them and stay quiet, now it petrified her. I don't understand why my poor little girl is developing these things as she gets older.. Usually from what I have learned, this stuff starts developing when they are a baby or around 18 months. I wonder if it is because Kaytlin's brain function is 6 months or so behind that it is showing these things late also? You know sometimes it is hard to deal with this, to know what she is going through, and the emotions that she is feeling. I just want to take that fear and pain away from her, and I can't because new things are starting to scare her, so I can't put her in a bubble and prevent everything you know. Just keep her in your prayers guys. I know God is watching over her.

Also don't forget to pray for Garrett and his mommy Katie. I mentioned him previously. He is going through Chemo right now and your prayers are needed for him also. THANKS!


 

0 comments: